This is my first attempt. I had no trouble with tatting the rounds and rounds of chains but, as you can see, I struggled to get a good-looking shape for the loops over it.
My first two attempts came out horribly misshapen. Put it down and had lunch. Picked it up later in the day and it dawn on me where I was doing wrong.
It is in the joins!
Working with chains, naturally the first thought of joins would be the lock join. That was what I did for the first two attempts. Using lock join forms kinks in the chains whereas I wanted a continuous curve in it. That can be achieved by making use of the regular join, i.e. by pulling the ball thread through the picot of the centre ring. I also used the regular join for the outer part to achieve a smooth flow of the chains, moving on to the next part of the daisy.
Having decided on the methods that I wanted to use, This is my second attempt. There are some issues with the tension though because the size of the loops are not even but I am happy with it..
|Thread is Altin Basak 3053|