30 April 2007

Edging for Tablecloth

I have been working on an edging of sorts for a table-cloth, on-and-off, for the last month or two. It is made using an antique pattern, downloaded free from the internet. (Sorry, I can't remember the link but I think it is from the Priscilla Tatting Book 2).

The tablecloth is 2-textured piece, an organza centre with a calico border in white. And, unlike the normal edging, I will not be attaching it at the edges. It will be appliqued on the calico at the corners. You can see how it will be in the picture, when I actually sew it on.

I am almost finished with the second corner. The original pattern has another outer row of rings made with one shuttle, shuttle-joined to the picots on the chains. But I was having problem with that, I could not make the rings lie flat. After making a few, the rings started to fold over each other. I tried again by giving giving some length to the thread for the shuttle join but still couldn't get it right. So I am leaving it out at the moment and work to complete the 'easier' part first. Will give it another try before attaching them to the corners. I am trying to convince myself that it is looking good as it is, :-)

28 April 2007

Started a very ambitious project

I have been thinking about making another tablecloth for my large dining table and finally started on it a few days back. Like the earlier one, it will also be crocheted. Another motivation is from Emily who has been showing off her crocheted bedspread in progress. So, I thought there will be someone to move me along if I slacken.

I have chosen a filet crochet as my motif. It is actually a square doily on its own but I think it will make a nice tablecloth when joined together.

The pattern is quite easy, but it took longer that I thought for the first motif to be completed because I kept forgetting to finish the X's in for the cross double-crochet (the portion done with the brown thread). Had to undo a few times because of that. Luckily it is crocheted, I can just pull the thread to undo. If it had been tatting, out come the scissors!

When finished, it looked scrunched up at the corners, but hopefully it will turn out right when joined together. I have finished one ball of the ecru thread which took me short of four rounds to complete the second piece. Going by this, I think I may need about 40 balls of ecru. The brown does not take up so much thread seeing that I'm tying up lots of air in between, :)

17 April 2007

Getting back to Tatting

No .... I have not gone away ... just had not been tatting much lately. Much of the time has been spent on organising my class reunion. And now that it is over I can get back to tatting again and designing new stuff.

A little about the reunion ... It was held on Saturday 14th April and it was the reunion for the students of the class of '74 of my old school. It was also to celebrate most of us turning 50 this year. Remember the doily that I made, that I said was going to be present? (See my entry on March 07 in this blog). That was for this occasion. Each one brought ONE present and they were exchanged at random. So, when I was making the doily, I didn't know who will be getting it. But I was very happy when I found out that she is someone who is also interested in craft, though I am not sure if she tats or not, and I know that mt tatted lace doily will have a good home.

Beside the doily, I added a few other pieces as well - two smaller doilies, a bookmark, a hand-phone ornament and a daisy heart motif. In fact, I am enjoying making the hand-phone ornaments right now. After making the one for the reunion gift, my daughter saw it and asked me to make one for her friend's birthday. Here are a few that I have made.

All these are made with one shuttle. I used a 2cm plastic ring for the centre, tatting over it using the split chain technique and using size 20 thread. The one in variegated purple has beads on them.