My Free Patterns

I am still sorting out the blog entries for my free patterns, so there willl still be patterns that are not accessible. My apologies.

Monday, 10 December 2012

Raspberry Pink Doily Done

Finished the raspberry-pink doily that I started here.
There are nine rounds in this doily. I tatted with size 40 Lizbeth and ended up with a doily measuring slightly over 7 inches.

I was contemplating adding a 10th round, an all-chain round of arches over each small ring. But I want to get started on the next design so I think I'll leave it as it is for now.  Maybe I'll come back to it later and if I feel like adding that 10th round.

Now, on the demo/workshop.
I only managed to get two students that day.  there were many interested to see how I do it but not enough to pick-up the shuttle and attempt it themselves.  But, the two that did managed quite well.  One progressed up to making joins and finished one half of a butterfly in the two hours allocated.  The other was slightly hampered by sweaty hands and had trouble closing the rings, but showed real interest to learn.  They went home with a shuttle each and some thread for them to continue tatting, and I hope they will keep up with it.

There will be another workshop on Saturday and I hope the turnout will be better.
As requested by Fox, here is the pink doily with against a white background.
I have to agree with Fox on this one.  The white background is more pleasing to the eye.

I forgot to mention earlier - I tatted this without cutting after rounds.  I worked with two shuttles and utilised the split chains and split rings to jump to the next round right up till the end. All in, I used up five shuttle-full of thread.  Any thread ends at the point of adding new thread are tatted over.  The only ends that I need to hide are the two at the end.

Don't you love split rings and split chains ;)

11 comments:

  1. Excellent design, and beautiful tatting, as usual! I also applaud your reaching out to teach tatting. Even one or two who show interest is commendable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, this is really pretty. I would like to see it on a white background.

    I have tried showing light pieces on black,but i think something of the quality is lost by the harshness, so I do not do it too often. I wonder if anyone else finds this to be true or is it just me?
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! It is beautiful. Thank you, Jon. I think this shows the design and your tatting to such better advantage.
      Fox : )

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes! I am so glad you added this photo, Jon; I think it shows your tatting and the design to much better advantage. It is beautiful. Thank you!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!!!!!Another beauty my dear.

    Usha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it