Doily and night-blooming flowers

Still un-decided on my next big project, I worked on a small doily by Jan Stawasz from his book Tatted Treasures.  It was quite an easy tat and quite enjoyable.  There had been a lot of waiting time this past few weeks and this project helped to pass the time.

I also spent some time to familiarise with the drawing software Inkscape to draw my tatting patterns. I had been using Serif before but my computer went kaput on me and I lost that software.  I am now on a different computer and decided to try Inkscape.  There isn't much differences in the functionalities between Serif and Inkscape. I think I am going to be comfortable using Inkscape for now.

At the time of writing this post, I am also following the blooming stages of my epiphyllum oxypetalum, also known as Queen of the Night, or Dutchman's pipe cactus. The plant has given me blooms several time before but this is the most number it has blooming at the same time. Previously, I only got two blooms each time but I was happy to see seven this.  Only five flowers bloomed tonight.  I am expecting the other two to open up tomorrow night.

This was two weeks ago (7 October)
The petals started to open up at 8.20pm today.
The following are the flowers at different times photographed during the night. 




This is a close-up of one of the flowers.

Comments

  1. Your tatting and Queen are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Beautiful. I've never seen them before.
    Deerwalker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always admired your tatting, and now these astonishing flowers! Thanks for a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful doily
    Fabulous photos of your plant and what beautiful flowers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers! When I was a child, we had a pot with the Queen of the Night - but I never saw it bloom. But then, I was very young...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it