My Free Patterns

I am still sorting out the blog entries for my free patterns, so there willl still be patterns that are not accessible. My apologies.

Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Doublestitch brush

As most may know, I like to design my own tatting patterns.  You may see these patterns under the respective tabs in this blog. Sometimes I write the patterns in full and publish them together with charts, sometimes they are only in chart form.  Personally, I prefer charts to fully written pattern as I am more of a visual person and can grasp things quicker when I see a chart or a diagram or a tabulation in the discussion.

I have just finished a major tatting project and have some time at hand, at least before I am tempted to pick up the Monster doily again after putting it away for the recently completed project.

I draw my tatting chart/diagram using the computer software Serif Draw+ X5.  There is a later version but I don't really feel the need to change this to the newer version.

Anyway, this software has a 'brush' feature where you can draw lines or outline of shapes in different style/pattern. Here is  sample of embroidery stitches available with the software,

But, there is none for the doublestitches in tatting! So, I experimented with creating my own brush and this is what I managed to do.


This is how it looks as a flower.  This flower is drawn using the quick shape feature of the software.


Obviously, there are still lots of tweaking to do. In fact, I am not totally sure if this will come handy for my charts because of the different stitch counts in the different elements of the pattern.

Still, I find this kind of interesting considering that I am not a trained designer and learn as I go on how to use this software.

Oh, you are waiting to see a photo of the major tatting project!
That will be a later post, sorry .......

1 comment:

  1. Jon, you are courageous! I have SO much difficulty using drawing software and get beyond frustrated with most of my results. You are doing great, oh intrepid tatter! 😉

    ReplyDelete

Thank you leaving comments. I really appreciate it