I tried my best to follow his instruction on making the picot within a double stitch, i.e placing the picot between the first half and the second half of the double stitch. It was not easy getting used to it, sometime I got it, other times I slipped back into the usual method. Unpicked a number of times because of it.
I do find a bit f a problem following the chart for this motif because the numbering of the stitch count jumps all over the chart. I find that I have to read a different part of the chart for the middle group of rings and for the chains because the were not numbered in the working sequence in the chart like I am used to.
Still, I am quite happy with this one. I will be adding more to it as a way of taking a break from the square mat that I showed previously. Here is a photo of it with a second square added.
These two squares used up almost one ball of the DMC size 80. I only have one more ball of the thread so this will be a four-squares mat with maybe just enough for a thin border around it.