Tuesday, 4 January 2011

It is good to be back

I arrived home from my trip on 26th, a little after 5.00pm. The whole journey back took about 17 hours, including a 4-hr transit in Dubai. Most of the flying time was at night but I did not really manage to get much sleep during the flight. The difference in the clock time was playing havoc to my body, too. On the day I arrived I did not fall asleep until about 4.00 in the morning.

Ahh ... this body is not what it used to be. When I was working, I had travelled to Europe and the UK a few times but still manage to go to work the next morning after arriving home.

We stayed at two places during the trip, in Leicester first and then in Croydon. All the days were quite full. From Leicester, we drove north as far as Leeds and west to Manchester. From Croydon we went to Swindon and further southwest to Somerset. Each day, setting off at about 8.30am and arriving back to the hotel at 6.00pm. If the daylight hours were longer we would have travelled to more places, I think, he he he ....

We were lucky to be able to dodge the heavy snow in some parts except for the day that I had planned to meet Jane in Stratford. There was heavy snowfall the night before and the weather news about the road condition was not very encouraging. So I had to put safety first and decided to stick to the motorway on our way to London.  That meant that I will not be passing through Stratford and had to skip meeting Jane.  That was a great disappointment.

Considering the amount of time we were on the road, I think I have become quite good at reading the road signs along the motorway.  I was a bit worried whenever I see the notice "Salt Spreading" came up because that meant that there may be icy patches up ahead.

I also had to skip meeting up with Sheila because I had only one day (from the originally-planned two days) to walk-about in London. My sister came with us and since it was her first visit to the UK, she would want to see the popular sights of London.

But the main purpose of the trip was to attend my daughter's graduation at Loughborough University. I could not persuade her to defer receiving her scroll to the summer graduation ceremony. Otherwise we would have been spared the cold.

I have prepared a slideshow of some photos of our trip. Hover your cursor over the lower part of each picture to read the caption.

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures of your happy trip! I'm sorry you didn't get to see Jane - and I know she was sad too. But what a great event - the graduation! Thank you so much for sharing.


Thank you leaving comments. I really appreciate it