As mentioned in my earlier post, the doily was tatted using the pop-a-bobbin shuttle. I know it is a bit late to give my review of the shuttle, ... but I am going to do it anyway.
First of all, I was quite surprised that the shuttle was rather 'plump' and rounded. Being used to the trimmer Clovers, I needed a little bit if time to adjust to the size. But it didn't take very long for me to do it. Among the thing that I like is that it doesn't have an appendage at the end like the Aero.
This is how I hold my shuttle.
I also like having a hook at the other end, though not so much the type of hook that was attached to this shuttle. The surface of the metal where it had been flattened to shape the hook rubbed against the thread and fuzzes it up a bit. I can hear the rasping sound when the thread slides along the flattened surface. Using a 3-ply thread of the Altin Basak for the doily did not help much either. Some of the joining picots in the doily are very small picots. I find it rather difficult to pull the thread with the hook for joining to the very small picot.
But the good news is that, Sally wrote in her blog that some of the issues raised about the shuttle by other tatters who have used it are being addressed. One of which is the plumpness of the shuttle. Aside from the hook, I had no other problems with this shuttle and quite like using it. But I am not sure if it will replace my favorite Clover shuttles.
Okay now ... about the doily.
I wrote before that I tatted the doily slightly different from the way the pattern was written. The original pattern was such that eight separate motifs are joined together to make up the main body of the doily. The finishing touch was filling up the centre with sets of chains. My aim was to be able to tat the main body of the doily in one round. To be able to do that I made a small change to the chain at the inner end of the individual motif. This small change allows me to move to the next part of the doily without cutting the thread and starting over for the next motif. To illustrate it further, here is a picture of where I make the change. If you have Mary Konior's book, A Pattern Book of Tatting, you can make a comparison with the original photo from the book.
Because of the change in the work flow, I also had to change the starting point of some of the rings for ease of construction. As with the original pattern, I finish this off with a series of chain for the middle part of the doily.
Before I sign off, I want to apologise to those who feel that what I had done amounted to desecrating the memory and creativity of Mary Konior. I assure you that this design will forever remain that of Mary Konior's. What I did was finding a way out of what may tatters would rather avoid - hiding ends.