Yesterday, I didn't have anything in mind and had nothing else to do. I decided to load up two shuttles and let my fingers fly. What came out of it was truly a happy surprise.
I was very satisfied with myself considering that I didn't sketch anything out beforehand. And, the stitch counts just fit in very nicely. I did not have to unpick to change the stitch count (well.. okay, I unpicked once because I made a join to the wrong picot). But most importantly it lays flat. I didn't have to block it at all.
This is the raw cut of a snowflake motif. It you look closely some picots got dropped half-way through it because I didn't like the way the are crowding up. This was tatted with size 50 thread and measures 10cm (4inches) across.
The one below is the refined version. I made slight changes in it - put in extra picots, made additional joins and changed the curve of the chains in some parts. But the stitch count remains the same.
This version was tatted with size 40 Lavender orchid HDT from the Yarnplayer. The finished size is 11cm (slightly over 4.25inches).
How I wish it is as easy as this all the time ... *big sigh*