An earlier design re-visited

When Jane posted about her joined-up hearts, it reminded me of a heart pattern that I joined up in a similar way. The original pattern was one that I created for my 25-motif challenge way back in 2006.  I should have written out the pattern for it when I completed the challenge, but as usual, tatting is more interesting that writing patterns.

With that basic heart design, I joined it up together to form a small coaster.  I can't recall if I have posted a picture of it anywhere, so here it is,

This was made when I first learned split rings and wanted to put to use what I had learned.  The coaster is made up of six separate heart motifs joined together.

Triggered by Jane's hearts, I revisited this designed to see if I can modify it a bit so that it can be tatted in one pass.  I think I have found a way, looking at the progress so far, and I am liking the way it is turning out.
This new version was tatted with size 80 thread that just happen to be in the shuttle.  I am going to tat it again with  a bigger size thread.

Comments

  1. That's looking very nice Jon - I like it in the variegated yellow and I like the effect you get of the double chain on the edge of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using a solid colour for the next one which doesn't look so bad either. Will show it when done.

      Delete
  2. I like the new design very much. I think it less heart like, but more cohesive as a motif.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon

    I love the colour combinations in your coaster, it makes the intricate section stand out well. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tatted another one earlier replacing the white thread with green and each motif looked like a slice of watermelon, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! When you're tatting in one pass, are you still using split rings? It doesn't look like it to me, but I'm still learning to identify techniques by just looking. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still using split rings. If I don't use split rings, I will end up at where I started and will not be able to do it in one pass.

      Delete
  5. Both designs are beautiful, but I'm a bit partial to the second one. Can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo, lovely. I hope you are going to make the pattern available (got a new book in the works?)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both versions look good. It's amazing how adding that chain keeps the look but makes it able to be done in one pass. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with Marty hope you make the pattern avaliable. ;(
    about book since I love your patterns. But understand needing a break!
    You tat so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to make one of those - in one passes thank you. I think doilies of any size is perfect for a house warming gift, a newborn baby gift, lots of ideas that needs to be realized.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it