Malaysian Tatters Meet in BBBangi

It was an wonderful Saturday morning when the first group meet of Malaysian Tatters was held in Bandar Baru Bangi.  I have been tatting for almost 10 years now and during most part of that 10 years it felt like I was a lone tatter in this country.  I have met a few other tatters but they are more into other crafts and needlework.  I was longing to have some tatter-chat where tatting is the main topic of conversation.  Through personal contacts and online social network, I managed to bring together a number of people who are tatters and are interested in tatting.

We had our meet at a fast-food outlet (not mentioning the name here, but you'll know from the pictures).  When I arrived, at least three were already there.  Some I have not met in person, only through the different online groups, but somehow I just know who they are.  Haven't you experienced that sometimes?

I brought with me some shuttles and thread, lots of tatting books and a small booklet that I prepared for the beginners. Started with introducing the double stitch and was happy to see that all of them managed to get it although at different level of capabilities.

I finally met Surya of Sunshine Crafts for the first time though I have visited her blog many times. We had a customer of the outlet who came over to see what we were doing and stayed on to learn some tatting.

Here are some photos taken during the gathering.

Surya is the one with tatting in her hands 
Zalita (left) tatted left-handed but managed to follow my right-handed instructions, seen here with Umi (centre) and Zunaidah (right) and Mikko (stooping over)

Surya, K Nora and her sister with Zarina's HDT on the table
Showing the flip to Bee and Ina (both seated)
Rozi (left) managed to pick up tatting from online videos and produced some lovely pieces .  Naza  (right) caught the concept of the ds quite quickly too.
... as did Fid (left) and Mikko (right)
I was unravelling a thread to show the different plies in the tatting thread.
Zarina taking a look at an Aero Shuttle 
Time flies when you are having fun.  We started at 10.30 in the morning and before we knew it it was already past 2.00pm and time to leave. It was certainly a fruitful and enjoyable four hours.  There will be more of such meetings, that I am very sure.

Comments

  1. What a great get-together! Looks like such fun!
    Fox ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fox, it was fun, fun, fun. I think we could have kept on tatting if not for the hour and other things that need doing.

      Delete
  2. What fun! Sounds like a marvelous time. I've not had the opportunity to meet another tatter yet. Maybe some day. It's nice to see you spreading the addiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy and pleasantly surprised with the turnout, though a few could not make it at the last minute.

      I hope you'll get to experience it too, soon.

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun was had by all! Times does fly when you meet with tatters. So happy you all got together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to many more such meetings. Some day we may be able to host something big and have workshops like Palmettos or Tat Days. It doesn't hurt to dream ... and tat.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have a real-life tatting day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thank you for visiting. I hope you'll have the opportunity like this too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it