New Medallions in Tatting - NB pattern No. 3

This is my third venture with Norma Benporath patterns that were published in the Queenslander newspaper.

Before I go to the patterns, for the benefit of those who may have missed my earlier posts, I have embarked on tatting patterns by Norma Benporath as published in the Queenslander newspaper.  These articles and patterns were scanned and made available online in the Trove website. The text for the patterns were captured by OCR (optical character readers) and given in the sidebar of the page.  Readers are invited to go through the text and make corrections if they come across any mistakes when captured by the OCR. A number of tatters in InTatters  have undertaken to go through the digitised text to verify the pattern text.  I have decided to go a step further and actually tat the patterns based on the digitised text and see if they tatted up as they should be.

My third pattern is from New Medallions in Tatting, published on January 31st, 1935.  There are three patterns in this article; two square medallions and one with an 'unusual shape' (that's the description as in the paper).  Here I have finished one square and partially completed the other. I will not continue with the bigger square because I made a mistake  in one of the chains.

Talking of mistakes, I needed to correct the stitch count in the text of both squares and corrected the text in the website as well. One mistake was caused by the OCR capture.  Another was the resulting non-symmetry in the design if I had tatted according the published instruction.  There was another mistake in the bigger square where the clovers should be joined to the square because, following the published pattern, it did not look like the scanned photo as shown in the newspaper.

In the course of tatting NB's patterns I noticed a common feature in several of the patterns, and that is the stand-alone clovers.  I call them stand-alone clovers because they are tatted individually and not joined to the rest of the tatting by any chains, but rather only at the picots.    In these two squares, the clovers shape the corners of the square.  This feature was also found in a doily that I tatted earlier (scroll down to the end of the page to see the doily).

Comments

  1. These are very pretty motifs, and it is interesting about the stand-alone clovers. I'm wondering how one would connect motifs to each other. Sounds kind of tedious and fiddly! Your doily in the previous post is gorgeous, and was a lot of work! It's nice that you're drawing attention to Norma's patterns from long ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the article, Norma gave suggestions and instructions on how to join up the motifs for insertions. The tedious and fiddly part would be dealing with the many ends, which I never like.

      Delete
  2. Your work is very beautiful! I'm just a beginner in tatting.
    Best regards, Aggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look lovely and the patterns are gorgeous, well done on doing some very old patterns
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it