How to make a Mock Ring



Okay..... after the split ring, let's work on the mock ring. Right .... the name 'mock ring' may sound confusing to some but after going through this, some of you will be thinking .... 'is that all that it is?', LOL.

Mock ring is not new. I first learn about it when I was browsing the net on the subject of tatting and came across the GR-8 Shuttles Homepage site with the SCMR (self-closing mock ring) instructions in it.

So, in a nutshell.... a mock ring is a chain that joins back on itself and following are some photos that I hope will explain it better. I can think of two ways to make the mock ring. One is the GR-8 Brothers' way and another is the way that I am going to show below. Others may have their own method of making mock rings, which I'd like to know too.

For the purpose here, I start with a chain, using two colours of thread to show the different shuttles used. After making the chain, I slide a paper clip to the core thread to make a mock picot on the underside of the chain. Then I continue making the chain for the desired number of double stitches.

Next, remove the paper clip and make a shuttle join (or lock join) to the mock picot left by the paper clip. Make sure that the end of the chain is pulled close to the join before tightening the shuttle join (white thread). This brings the two ends of the chain together to form the shape of a ring.


Continue making several more double stitches after that and you will end up with something like this - a mock ring on top of a chain.



And now, in pictures, the self-closing mock ring (SCMR) the GR-8 Brothers' method.


After making the required number of double stitches in the chain, make a loop in the shuttle thread by holding it with one of your fingers (left pic). I am used to controlling the thread for the double stitches of a chain with my forefinger, so I use my ring finger to hold the loop in the shuttle thread.


While keeping the loop in place, tat the rest of the required number of double stitches.


Then, remove the loop from the finger that is holding it.


Slide the shuttle through the loop and pull the shuttle thread slowly.



This closes the ring by bringing the end of the chain to meet the beginning. Pull it tightly close and you will get a ring formed as in the picture.

Here is a picture of the the two mock rings together. The one on the left is by the first method and the one on the right is by the second method. If you look closely, you may see a speck of white in the one on the left from the knot made by the shuttle join.

Okay... so now you know about mock rings .... but it doesn't look any different from rings on top of a chain which can be made when working with two shuttles...

Aha!... that's just it .... now you can make rings on top of chains with one shuttle and a ball thread. Isn't that useful to know! But there is more .......

If you are working with two shuttles, you can make this double-decker.


Here's how. Remove the loop from your finger mid-way through making the mock ring. Make a full ring using the other shuttle and close the ring.



Continue making the rest of the mock ring, making sure that the loop is not pulled through the chain. At the end of it, close the mock ring as before.

And now, you have a ring sitting on top of another ring.

A simple pattern for a double-decker star that has mock rings in it is available here. The pattern uses two shuttles.

Comments

  1. Good pictorial. Fun pattern too. I just love Mock rings they're so easy! Well, there's another from my blog to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, beautifully clear, easy to understand lessons. Thank you for your time sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattingchic, I find mock rings so interesting. You can do many things with it.

    Tattycat, my believe is that any knowledge that is good, when shared, will enhance it and make many people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jon, they make our designs much more versatile. Especially when designing snowflakes. I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make it look so easy. But it is after your very clear step by step explanation.

    Thanks so much and this is the answer June and me were waiting for so as to attempt the tatted scrunchie! :)

    We wanted to ask you but I think you've read our minds :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha .. ha, I am a mind reader now, am I?
    I have my hair short right now, so won't be making any scrunchies for myself. But will attempt one at least, just to see if I can make one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too - I cut my hair the day before the scrunchies starts popping up.

    Jon - thanks for sharing esp using the paper clip. I had trouble having the thread hanging on to my left hand while waiting to close the mock ring.

    Question - how do you know its a mock ring when 'reading' the pattern from the diagram. I did one bookmark (not yet published in my blog) that could go either way, either a mock or a normal ring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are truly a gifted teacher! I think I will stick to designing and send students your way from now on!
    Thank you again for the time you put in to these tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm... good question Zarina, and honestly I am not sure myself.

    I suppose, If I see a ring that is not supported by a chain, like maybe it is joined to another ring without any chains coming out from it, it could be a mock ring.

    He.. he.. I really hope someone can give a better answer, 'cos i want to know too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. By George, I think I could do a mock ring your way. I always had trouble keeping that thread on another finger. I am putting down the laptop and making one RIGHT NOW, while it is still fresh in my mind. I'll let you know how that works; I have quite a few patterns that calls for this technique that I've been putting off ~ now I won't have to. Thank you Jon.
    X bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jon, I'm delurking here to say thanks for the tutorial. I've selected SCMR's for my new-technique of the week. I'm wanting to start snowflake centers with this technique. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic tutorial!! I will have to practice this now!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sistema molto interessante il tuo grazie per aver condiviso,sei stata molto gentile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jon, I'm a newbie tatter.
    I read in one of your pattern..( err.. the purple brooch you made for a wedding), it says "start with a mock picot". Can you explain how to make a mock picot at the start of a project?

    Thanks
    Aishah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make a mock picot, I just leave a small space in the thread before I make the first double-stitch so that it is positioned slightly away from the bead (in the daisy pin). If you need more information please e-mail me through the "contact me" tab at the top of the page.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it