Wrapping a plastic ring with double-stitches

This is a simple tutorial on how to wrap up a plastic ring with double-stitches, like I did for this snowflake.


The snowflake is a remake of the Hearts snowflake which I had posted earlier, which you can get through this link. I made it again and added a plastic ring with a tiny motif in the centre. A few tatters have asked me to explain how I did it. I hope this tutorial helps.

I first make the tiny motif with 6 rings with a ds count of (5-5) each. I used size 20 thread for this, and the plastic ring measures 2cm diameter which is suitable with the ds count that I am working with. A different thread size and/or plastic ring may not work with this ds count. A paper clip is a handy tool to make picots.


Leave a length of about 4 inches before starting.  Holding the thread end and the ring together, so that it doesn't slip off, bring the thread up from under the ring and slide the shuttle through the loop of the thread. This makes the first half of the double-stitch, though it doesn't look like it yet. This is the same method used for making split chain.


Next, for the second half of the ds, bring the thread down under the ring and slide the shuttle through. Make sure that the loop does not twist when passing the shuttle through it. Pull the thread close and you will see that a double stitch is formed.

Next, to make a picot.

I find it easier to use a paperclip when making a picot because I find that my picots become smaller when I tighten to close the ds on the ring. Slide a paper clip onto the thread and make the ds following the steps explained above. When made, it looks like this with the paper clip on. The paper clip can be removed after a few more ds are made.

Now is the part where the tiny motif is attached to the centre of the plastic ring. The paper clip is used if there is a picot on the outside of the ring at the same position where the tiny ring is attached, as is the case in my snowflake above. If not, there is no need for the paper clip.





We are still using the same method of making the ds as above. But this time, for the first half of the ds, bring up the thread through the picot of the tiny ring - you'll need a crochet hook for this. Then slide the shuttle through the loop made.





And for the second half of the ds, bring down the thread, going through the same picot. Again, make sure that the loop of the thread is not twisted when sliding the shuttle through. Tighten the thread to close the ds.






A completely wrapped plastic ring with the motif in the centre looks like this. Leave a length of about 4 inches and cut off the thread. The thread ends can then be hidden in the ds of the plastic ring - the beginning thread end into the last few ds, and the ending thread end into the starting few ds.

A tip here - when you start, make the first ds somewhere in between the picots to make it easier for you to hide the ends. For example, if the ds count between picots is 5, start with 3 ds and finish with 2 ds, unless the design allows you to climb out of the ring with a split ring or split chain, then you can start where the picot is.

Now that you know how to add the tiny centre motif, try and design something of your own, like this, maybe? This was made in one pass (except for the tiny motif, of course) with shuttle only - even the long loop.

Comments

  1. Jon, I love the way this turned out! I know I have some rings stashed away somewhere... Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have really been struggling with rings and couldn't imagine how you got the motif in the center. I can't wait to give it a try. It's good to see a new post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the good pictures which gives us a good instruction of how to do.
    Ulla in the north of Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    I need to find some rings and I can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the things you can do with these rings. I've used 2 shuttles from Sadie's book but haven't tried 3 shuttles yet. I like the center you've added. Most I've seen so far don't have a center.
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tutorial is so very well done! I will need to get some rings and try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY!!! Another beautiful piece... I'll like to try this one out... Hehehehe... Thanks for your tutorial...

    Cheers, Jul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon,
    I had purchased the rings and have tried it and have finally picked up on how to do it, but not exactly as good as yours yet, but I will keep trying. Thank you again. You really can do some very beautiful work and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Barbara and you are welcome. You'll get it perfect in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I'm adding a link from this to my blog so I can find it again. I blog hopped over here from Gina's site. She mentioned your tutorial with a link here so here I am. Thanks, Jon. Is it okay with you if I put a link here under my "Tatting Tutorials" links list on my ride sidebar of my blog?
    Do come visit again, Jon, you're always welcome to come on over to my blog for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so informative! I've learned so much from your blog!
    Thank you for sharing and giving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tutorial, Jon. I've covered rings before but not put anything in the center. Thank you for sharing your ideas. Now I'm off to use it to make a graduation/promotion gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific tutorial Jon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make everything so easy to understand. I appreciate it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waah!! such a useful tutorial, rather I also have a question, how to wrap a ring by ds. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the excellent tutorial. You are helping this tatting newbie to create beautiful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have made this now many times and just love it. Thanks again..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tatting petterns ,tachnics n tips r very very nice n useful 👏👏 Love your Creations 💕

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tatting petterns ,tachnics n tips r very very nice n useful 👏👏 Love your Creations 💕

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it