I was in Japan

Warning: photo-laden post coming up

A small group of old school friends, seven of us, decided to visit Japan early April.  We particularly wanted to catch the beautiful sight of the sakuras, and boy we sure did.  I am going to let the photos tell the story - not in the sequence that it had taken place



Entrance to the Osaka Castle

Found a piece of the homeland here

Chanced upon a monthly fleamarket at the railway station on the way to Nara


Was amazed at how tall and straight the bamboos shoot up to the sky
Bamboo groves - looking up as Arashiyama, Kyoto

Bridge over the Oi River, Arashiyama

Supposedly the oldest sakura tree in Kiyomizudera Park, Kyoto
A geisha at Gion Street, Kyoto.  Can't imagine how she can walk wearing that kind of shoes.

Himeji Castle, Himeji

The fishes, in clear water of the pond  in Koko-en Garden, Himjei

We feasted on the sakuras - Koko-en Garden

In the park leading to Himeji Castle

Leading to the Tokyo Tower
Went up the mountain to walk in the Ogimachi Village - a UNESCO heritage site




Took a ride on the Shinkansen bullet train for the first time and a couple more times after that

On one occasion, we had the whole coach of the Sinkansen to ourselves.


Another first - tasted onigiri, the japanese fast food on the go.

And to round it up, this was waiting for me when I returned from the trip.

Comments

  1. Wow, looks like a fantastic trip! Wish I were in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting holiday! Did you have a Japanese speaker with you? Friends of mine from Australia recently went to Japan and said they found the language barrier a bit of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a guide who was with us throughout the trip which helped a lot. Despite the language barrier, the Japanese would go out of the way to help if asked.

      Delete
    2. On another occasion, I was tatting at the traon station while waiting for the bullet train to Tokyo. I sensed someone watching over my shoulder. I turned and saw a japanese lady who appeared interested in what I was doing. Not able to converse, I showed her se photos of tatting that I had saved in my phone. As my train arrived before hers, she thanked me fo showing the photos as I was leaving. That was something I'd remember from the trip.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes words aren't needed!

      Delete
  3. I went there as a small child and never forgot anything about it! Wonderful and inspiring place:) so glad you look happy and like you enjoyed your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your trip. It seems so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks an interesting trip, not a country I realy want to go to, as my mother was a Japanese POW so I was brought up where nothing was made in japan, if it had made in japan it was not allow in the house.
    Thank you for sharing your Beauitful pictures, looks like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed our trip....thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, looks like it was fun! Got a friend living over there that I'd love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful memories and tatting too, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it