Let me have your address

Which one? How often have you answered that request with such a question? The first thing that come to mind would be the e-mail address.

But... I just wondered... would you know a friend's, or even family members's house address? To be honest, I don't know the address of my sister's house even though I have been there countless times. And often, when you are going to visit friends, as you approach the residential area, you make a quick call to your friend to get the full address. Sounds familiar?

Well, everything is all hi-tech today. All notes, addresses, reminders, and what-nots are stored in electronic form, in cell-phones, laptops, PDAs. All are still gadgets that can break down, or easily stolen. And when they are not available we become helpless, don't know where to turn to if there is no back-up somewhere.

So, I decided to get the old-fashioned address book to keep as my back-up. I went out shopping for one today, the paper type where you have to write in it with a pen or pencil. Remember that one? I was looking for a simple one, nothing fancy , so I thought I can find one easily enough when I went grocery-shopping in Carrefour this morning. And guess what? I couldn't find it anywhere in the store. I guess people don't use those things anymore, sigh ....

But the fact is, I already have an address book, but it is too beautiful to spoil with my unsightly handwriting. Here is a picutre of its cover.





This was given to me when I was in Japan years ago (when I was lucky enough to be sent by my employer to Japan, to visit our counterpart there). The cover is a lacquerwork, inserted with the artform called Chokin. The description in the book states something like this:


THE ART OF CHOKIN
The art of Chokin was introduced in the 6th century to decorate Shrines & Temples and was used to decorate Samurai armors, swords, helmets, etc. in the later years. This elegant art of Chokin is created by using the ancient technique of etching copper plates and gilding gold and silver.

The address book is still wrapped in its original packaging. Now you understand why I need to get another address book.

Comments received for this posts
Barbara said...
Hahaha! That's a funny write-up on the an Address Book. How about making one instead? Like scrap booking or something. I won't use the Japanese address book too, it looks too elegant for just addresses :)
Faizon said...
Yeah, sure BJ, if I am ever any good at scrap-booking! My last resort will be the 'buku tiga lima'. Remember that one too?
Bhavani said...
Just came across you blog today. Oh my! It was a real feast going through it. Good health and cheer to you and your family. Bhavani

Comments